THE English Library in Puerto de la Cruz has been the cornerstone of a substantial community of English-speaking residents and visitors for well over 100 years. First mooted by our Victorian forebears back in the 1890s, its dedicated team of volunteers have continued to offer reading material and entertainment in many varied forms ever since.
Its origin goes back even further. Historians tell us that in 1841 one Charles Smith started the first collection in the garden of his house, Sitio Litre – now the home of the Orchid Gardens in Puerto. A small section of its wooden shed home is preserved in the Library’s Reading Room.
The Library nowadays strives to keep up to date with the modern needs of its membership. It does this by offering many of the latest popular novels and DVDs. It also has an extensive collection of specialist subject books to enjoy and research.
Throughout the year it is a venue for Social Events, Talks followed by buffet lunches and for a variety of Educational Classes.
The aim of the Library always is to extend a very warm welcome to visitors both old and new.